NICWA Champion for Native Children Award
Below is the information about our 2020 conference. Check back in early fall 2020 for more details on our 2021 Seattle conference.
The nomination period is currently open! Nominations are due by January 7, 2020.
Do you know of an incredible leader, social worker, case manager or foster parent in your community who is doing awesome work for our children in the foster care system?
If so, nominate them for NICWA’s highest honor, the Champion for Native Children Award. This annual award honors an individual or organization that has made outstanding contributions to the well-being of Indigenous children, families, and communities in the United States or Canada.
The awardee will be honored at NICWA’s 38th Annual Protecting Our Children National American Indian Conference on Child Abuse and Neglect in Denver, Colorado on March 29-April 1, 2020.
Nominees should be an individual or organization that has been an exceptional or emerging leader, social worker, case manager, or foster parent who has made significant contributions to the well-being of Indigenous children, families, and communities in the United States or Canada. Such contributions may consist of:
- Demonstrated excellence, creativity, and leadership affecting positive change in tribal child welfare and in tribal communities;
- Advocacy for tribal children, families, and communities;
- Developing and/or promoting programs and policies that support tribes, children, and families;
- Working for passage of legislation designed to protect Native children, to enhance tribal child welfare, or to reinforce the Indian Child Welfare Act;
- Working to obtain funding necessary to implement programs and policies supporting Indigenous children and families; or
- A significant body of work that spans several years, or evidence of lifelong service, to promoting the well-being of Indigenous children and families and strengthening tribal sovereignty.
How to Nominate:
Attn: Cori Matthew – Champion for Native Children Selection Committee
5100 SW Macadam Avenue
Portland, OR 97239